Saturday, January 28, 2012

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary: Gwen Frost is an outsider at Mythos Academy, a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword. Gwen is an outsider both to the students of the Academy and the rest of the world. But when her gift of psychometry - the ability to know an object's history just by touching it reveals dark undercurrents and danger afoot, she has no choice but to get involved.


The Good The thing I love about this book is the author managed to use a boarding school and made it interesting without taking the Vampire Academy route. Sure gwen trains and all that jazz but what makes it so great is that she's just average most of the time. It makes it realistic. Because let's face it... Not every girl can just jump into action and automatically be good at what she's doing. I love the way mythology was used in this book. The author didn't try to change it to fit the story she instead used what everyone knew and wrote a story around it and modernized it without it being exactly too modern. If that confuses you then you'll just have to read the book to find out. The characters overall are great. None of them were overly annoying. You end up falling in love with some of the characters after you realize that they aren't who they seem to be. Everyone in this book has depth and it makes this a great read.

The Bad Honestly I can usually find something to nitpick at in a book but this is one of the few where I found nothing wrong with it.

Overall Opinion I loved this book. It's not every day you can find a mythology based book that doesn't ruin the myths but also has it's own story line. If you liked Vampire academy or house of night any of those supernatural/paranormal boarding school books then I suggest you go out and read this one. You won't be disappointed.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been wanting to read this book for a while now and your review only made me more curious. It really sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found my review useful. :].

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I just added this book to my TBR pile and your review made me want to read it even more. Thank you!
    New follower!
    Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think that if you're looking for an urban fantasy young adult novel that will keep you up late at night and skipping meals to finish, this is the book for you. I absolutely cannot WAIT for Kiss of Frost--Touch of Frost has the first chapter of it at the end of the book. Gwen is an incredible heroine that starts to accrue a motley crew of friends and alliances, and Logan is someone that every girl fantasizes about (he's like a 300 meets Clash of the Titans sandwich with a side of Troy)--in other words--Estep makes him absolutely delectable.

    ReplyDelete