Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review x]. Updates.

BloodmaidenBloodmaiden by Christine E. Schulze


My rating: 5 of 5 stars




Zale. Gauthier. Varden. These three dynasties... They all sound like something out of an ancient, oriental myth or fairy tale. The concept of humans and dragons helping and living in harmony with one another, without fear. To me, that's exactly what they are. A distant dream only read of, whispered secretly, quietly yearned for. For, you see, I am the new Quelda of Tynan. These words echo the mystery, horror, and romance found within Schulze's fantasy novel. Along with her new husband, Chalom, Crislin must choose to embrace cruel tradition, run from it, or stand against it. The young couple's only hope is to rally the help of the three peaceful dragon dynasties of Sulaimon-but tradition is not on their side, even outside the realm of Tynan. The dragons outside Tynan's borders have been rumored as too stubborn and proud to believe their Tynanian brothers would commit such horrors as inflicted upon the Quelda. Gaining their aid is not a likely hope. Yet, any hope at all is valued in Tynan... If they are to stand a chance of bringing cruel tradition to a permanent end, Crisilin and Chalom must brave the constant, consuming blizzards of the Ever-white. They must brave the three dynasties and the challenges awaiting there. Together, they must convince the dragon emperors to allow them access to the shrines which house the sacred Aria - protective strands of music which may be able to disperse the evil from Tynan and unite the four dynasties of Sulaimon as a whole once again. Their only aid stems from a sprite whose moods are as unstable as her magic, a young minstrel, and a mysterious fox. Despite the odds, such plans are daring, dangerous, unprecedented, but fully possible - if they can escape the Wall first.- amazon/goodreads




Actual star rating is 4.5

This book was fantastic. A lot of fantasy novels leave you wishing there was more to them. This was not the case with Bloodmaiden. I was hooked on this book within the first page; which for me is very hard to do. I have read my fair share of novels including a fantasy but this was on a whole other level. Within this book is a magical world where let's face it...I'd kill to live there. Dragons and magic galore this book had it all. The world itself was very well thought out as well as the interactions in each area. You could easily see the differences of how everyone lived and no where was I left confused when they moved from place to place. I do however feel that it would have been better to see a little more of this world and the areas within it. It was a little rushed through but even though it was rushed the storyline wasn't hindered. It just would have been nice to see a little more.



The characters in this book were very unique and I absolutely loved them. They each had their own personalities that were very different from each other and the interactions between them were great. This goes along with the same idea of the world. I felt the character interactions were a bit rushed. I would have liked to know more about each character especially Crislin. There should have been a little more background to her character which would have made her a lot more likable (Not that she wasn't already). The same goes with the other characters. We learn bits and pieces about them, just enough to satisfy the story and keep it flowing but it would have been nice to know more.



The plot was very unique indeed. Different areas protected by dragons, where humans and dragons live in peace. One area with cruel traditions that shouldn't be there. These traditions are what drives the whole story and boy does it make for an interesting tale. A young girl and her friends there to save it all. How could it get any better? Oh I know! Throw in a few life lessons and riddles. (I just love a book with riddles in it). The ending of this novel really makes you think and actually apply it to how you as a person lives life. Which is very hard to throw into a fantasy novel and make it work. I felt that during the whole novel I was thinking "They should get what they deserve", and then Bam! The ending reminded me that I have a conscience. And then I sat there and thought about how many times I was quick to throw out such harsh judgement. Wow did I want to kick myself. But that's part of what makes this book as great as it was.



Okay, okay now you wonder why I gave this book 4.5 rather than the 5 stars that I technically gave it on goodreads? Well as I have mentioned before I felt like the story was rushed even though it did work for the book I just felt there could have been more. But!!! There was one thing that really bugged me. There was a few times that my attention was snapped out of this wonderful story because of things mentioned...Or shall I rather say places?.. What I mean is there's this beautiful world that I fell in love with then...It gets compared to china and russia is mentioned and places like that. So I end up reading that part over and I'm like "Whoa! is this place connected to our world somehow or was it just a couple of mistakes the author made while being so glued into writing this wonderful story?" So there we have it. The reason for my mind wandering during the story a bit. But seriously, I can excuse those mistakes just because to me this book was just that good. So if you don't mind those few mistakes and you seriously like fantasy novels then I suggest you read this because frankly... You won't be disappointed.

**********************************************************************************

Updates:


Okay I have a couple of books to read before I am caught up with this months book list. This month I have had others books to review that I didn't know I was going to review at the time of making the list. So because those books had to be done by a certain date I did them first. Hunger games review will be up sometime later today (After I get some sleep). I still have to read Matched and that horrid mystery book. *Le Sigh* I am hoping Matched is a lot better than people are claiming it to be.*Crosses fingers* I should be starting both books this weeks. Other news. I made an account on netgalley and requested some books. I hope that I will be able to review some of them and I have no clue when I will be able to find out. Hopefully soon. I will keep you guys updated. Also later today I will make a book list for March. This time I am going to plan ahead and do less books just in case I have unexpected reviews like I did this month. So that's about it Oh let me leave you with a pic of my darling cat.
Her name is Drusilla. She will be 1 years old this summer. Isn't she just adorable? And yes she's just as evil as her name.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! New follower here :)
    Your kitty is a cutie!

    Just wanted to let you know that my debut novel, OPPRESSION, just came out a few days ago. Today it's on the B&N Teen NOOK Book best-seller list: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?view=grid&dref=5594&store=ebook&SZE=10&SRT=sa
    I hope you'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following. I took a look at your book and it's definitely going on my to-read list. :].

    ReplyDelete