Friday, March 23, 2012

Finally here.



Matched (Matched, #1)Matched by Ally Condie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her Match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life. Except he's not. In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love. How many children they have. Where they work. When they die. But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own. And that's when her whole world begins to unravel...

Matched is another dystopian novel where society controls the people and the people have little choice. This sounds just like The Giver and Delirium and even a few other choice dystopian novels. Now what makes Matched different from these others? I'll have to be honest.. There isn't much. When I read a novel I want to be surprised I want to read something that hasn't been done before. Don't get me wrong Matched is a good book but I just feel like this story has been written numerous amounts of times. Okay now that I have ranted let's get to the review.

Condie does take a different approach to the dystopian society by using match ceremonies. Making the match ceremonies the basis of the book really keeps it this novel from being too much like the others. Sure they have little choice on how they live or die but these ceremonies is what keeps the book going. Cassia is left the choice of choosing her best friend or following her heart. This book proves there are different types of loves and how it can catch people in the middle. Not only that but her choices ultimately lead to something a lot bigger than who she loves. The choices each person makes empowers the society but what happens when people stop making the choices expected of them?

I had mixed feelings about Cassia. I felt like through the book she was never truly her own person. She's constantly doing what people tell her and she's forever doing things for others and not herself. I get the whole wanting to make others feel better but the reason she left should have been for herself not because she made a promise and couldn't let such and such get hurt. It actually looks like she leaves for her own reasons but then she says some things that make it seem more like an obligation and that drives me crazy. I felt more attached to the other characters in the book than I did to her.

One thing I did like about the book was that there was a bigger picture other than Cassia's love life. I felt like I wanted to help these people have a choice in how they live and who they love. So thank you Ally Condie for you ability to take a story that has been written a million times and changing it and making it your own.

The reason I gave this book 3 stars (Well it really deserves 3.5) is because I feel like it could have been written differently than the other novels like it. I'm just tired of things being written over and over again. This book had a good plot it was just too like the others. Overall, this book was a good read to pass the time and if you like this type of dystopian novels I say go for it. I also recommend it for people who have yet to read a dystopian novel.

1 comment:

  1. You have received a blog award! Come on over to my blog to pick it up :)

    http://bookruckus.blogspot.ca/2012/03/blog-award.html

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete