Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review. Monthly book list.

A day late, but never fear my review is here!


The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


My rating: 5 of 5 stars




In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



Where to begin? First let me explain my dislike of Dystopian novels. I feel that they are on the verge of almost being SciFi but not exactly? A lot of them have things that are overly advanced or creatures that appear in the future. Which can be great if written about in the right way. I feel that a lot of authors overwrite when it comes to this so that you get a better feel of how things are but sometimes it's just too much. There are a few Dystopian novels here and there that I do like but mostly I just pick up books like these to pass the time. That is just me though. Now let's get on with the review.



This novel... What can I say? I honestly loved it. The things that happened in this novel I could actually see happening as a possible future. It was one of the more realistic of the Dystopian novels that I have ever read. The idea that North America could break up into little areas due to war. And that those areas are heavily governed is a simple and obvious idea but the author made it more than simple and took a spin on the obvious. The structure of the Panem Nation is very well done. Not only do you see how the government works but you also see how it effects the people in the districts. More so, the lowest of the lower class, district 12. The way the government is set up is practically a futuristic spin on an old idea of power. The idea that people who have conquered are somehow higher up in the food chain than others. Which is hard to write about in a dystopian novel without going to over the top with weird weapons or creatures.



The characters in this novel are on a whole other level. Katniss is a determined young woman who puts others first despite what it might do to her. She is not exactly brave but will do what she has to in order to survive and help others and her family survive. This unique personality for her character made it easy to really like her. She is sweet and innocent in her own way. She doesn't understand a lot about what's going to happen as well as how she will eventually interact with other characters. Which I believe makes her character more realistic and easier to compare ourselves to. The other characters in this novel are just as interesting as katniss and they each play a very important part in the novel and Katniss' life. I fell in love with some of the characters especially a little girl from a little later in the book. Brief some of the characters roles may have been in the book but that briefness didn't diminish them as a whole.



I am going to admit something that very RARELY happens. I cried. I cried for Katniss, I cried for the situation, I cried for the hunger games, I cried for the loss, the characters, everything as a whole. There was a breaking point for me in this novel where I literally hated the book for what it made me feel. I have never had that happen before. This novel was heartbreaking and I wanted to rip it up. I wanted to stop reading it entirely...But instead I pushed through the heartbreak and at the end of the book was I glad I did. This world in this novel, the way people are how they act, left me disgusted. Now just because I was disgusted and hated the book for making me cry doesn't mean that the novel was horrid. In fact it was opposite..It was Fantastic. I may have cried and hated it but I was transfixed in what would happen next. I was glued to the pages and lost in this world. And despite the heartbreak I enjoyed every sad minute of this novel.



So for those of you who aren't afraid of the horrors that can come from human nature,who aren't afraid to maybe cry a little, who love dystopian novels, who love books in general. I suggest you read this novel, because this is an experience you will not regret.


**********************************************************************************

So I said I wouldn't have that big of a list. I lied...It turns out that I got approved for books on NetGalley quicker than I had thought. So I decided that I will post these books as a for sure thing for reviews and more than likely there will be no changes or additions to the list. Well maybe a couple of additions since an author asked me if I would review more of her novels (Which I agreed to do). I think I may even have more books from NetGalley that haven't even been approved yet. I forsee a long month of reviewing. Wish me luck.

March Book list:
Angel Evolution by David Estes
Halflings by Heather Burch
Torn by Stephani Guerra
The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Amy Carter
The Moonstone Series by Marliee Brothers. (4 books in series)
*****1-2 more books from an author and possibly a book from goodreads R2R*****


I will be working on linking all of my reviews so that you can go straight to them from the reviews page.

2 comments:

  1. Great review of the hunger games!

    You have a nice blog :D

    Im following you on all the apps you have, Could you please follow back :) Thankyou

    http://bookenslaved.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm now following your blog.

    ReplyDelete