Monday, March 12, 2012

Review.



Angel Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #1)Angel Evolution by David Estes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Angel Evolution- the first book in the young adult fantasy trilogy: The Evolution Trilogy... When Taylor meets Gabriel at college, she is in awe of the subtle glow that surrounds him. No one else, not even her best friend, seems to notice. Something about him scares her. Is all as it appears? While Taylor struggles for answers, she finds herself in the middle of a century old war centered on one miraculous revelation: evolution.

Angel Evolution takes a new spin on the idea of Angels and Demons. David Estes shows his creativity by taking the age old war of the two and shaping it into a whole different reality. I am usually skeptical about books that are about Angels because I feel that they all have the same story-line. "Angel is on mission to save/help and has to prevent themselves from falling from grace" This book was nothing like that. I was surprised that anyone could come up with the idea that David did and I am so glad he did because boy is it great.

The age old war of Angels and Demons is believe it or not...Reversed! And! To twist it up some more...It isn't an age old battle after all! My oh my, never had I thought I would see a book take this direction. Angels are evil and demons are good? (Well not exactly but this is the overall idea...There's always always good and bad apples) This just shows you can't judge a book by it's cover. (Ha bad pun.) I was afraid while starting this book that I would be annoyed or bored by some of the ideas. I was greatly proved wrong. The ideas he created were well thought out and different. I am excited to see where the other books in his series will take me.

The characters were good but I do have some complaints. I found Taylor to be annoying to some degree. Her personality jumped around too much for my liking. One minute she's Miss independent and the next she's bent out of shape over some guy.I also felt her relationship with rushed. This occurs a lot in YA novels so it is to be expected. I guess my annoyance isn't exactly with the author it just annoys me when a character is so set in her lifestyle and is quick to let go of her ideas. (This happens with real people and it annoys me as well.) One thing I'd like to point out and thank the author for... The lack of a love triangle. Thank you for finding a way to incorporate a new male character in the book without making him fall for and fight for the attentions of the lead female. It is so refreshing to sit down and read a novel where there isn't drama over who the lead female is going to choose. That gets annoying after a while. Overall the characters were great, although semi-annoying.

How do I feel about this book as a whole? It took me a little bit to get into reading this book. I'm used to books being more fast-paced and straight forward. Even though it did take me a little bit I never had the urge to put the book down. This book spent a lot of time on character building and background information. However in order for it to be understandable this had to be done. He did a good job pulling this off while throwing in some action scenes in between so it didn't feel like I was waiting till the end of the book for anything to happen. It was a great read and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes YA paranormal or YA books in general.

*********************************************************************************
MATCHED REVIEW COMING SOON

No comments:

Post a Comment